Friday, April 22, 2011

Purpose of this blog

Instead of jumping right in and starting to write I have been taking some time to think about the focus of this blog. Most importantly I've been asking myself, what do I expect this to accomplish?

There are a few answers. The focus of this blog is to think about food and reexamine my and our cultures relationship with our food. I have made several gardening goals and will be experimenting to see how many meals I can stretch a farm fresh chicken purchased from a local farmer.

This is not a recipe blog but I'd be happy to pass along tasty ones I find and learn what you love to cook. It is important to know how to cook and enjoy the food you raise.

My focus is on knowing where my food comes from and occasionally look at the problems with our current food system. I feel if we are mindful of our actions or understand the benefits of eating food which we are aware of how it was raised or know the individual we bought it from, we will in the end be eating healthier. Honestly, I don't know anyone who raises chocolate or corn chips so that will most certainly be a boon to my waist line. :)

The blog is for more than that though. It is for reflection, inspiration and to keep me honest in my endeavors. I do not plan to become a food fanatic of only eating what I grow, cook or can buy locally but I'd like to put these thoughts in the forefront of my day because afterall we eat at least 3 times a day. Isn't it worth thinking about what we are eating? There is more than calories, fat content, sodium and corn syrup to consider. My belief is if we are eating some of our local foods we will be ruling out more of those unhealthy options.

Also we communicate best through stories and relate better to other individual's successes and failures than we do a textbook.

I expect my posts will vary ranging from farm chores, stories to information but the central topic will always be related to food and why local is the best option for us and our world.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment