Monday, May 9, 2011

Onions and an early start

As a novice gardener, I always started my vegetable plantings after the last hard frost. Here in Southern New Hampshire, the common planting date is June 1 or if you adhere to local folklore, after the full moon in May. My first venture into the garden began with all my plantings in June. In the past few years, I've been more adventurous and chosen the full moon of May as the frost free date with much success.

Imagine my dismay last year when I ordered onion starts from a catalog and they came at the beginning of April. What was I supposed to do with them? I still had snow in parts of my yard. I crossed my fingers and set each onion into one of my raised beds. Somewhat miraculously they sprouted new green growth and quickly began growing at a time of the year that I had previously thought was too early to plant.

This year, my onions yet again arrived in early April. With less tremidation this year I planted my onions and have been rewarded with signs of vigorous growth despite the cool weather which has regularly dipped below freezing.

In addition to onions, I am experimenting with other cold hardy crops. I have two rows of radishes and a row of mixed leaf lettuce which have both sprouted and most bear true leaves. I will be planting more rows of both of these crops at regular intervals in order to keep a continuous harvest until it is too warm to grow these fast maturing crops. I would have planted peas but I was unable to find seeds when I bought my radish and lettuce seeds.

From a local mom and pop business I purchased 2 six packs of broccoli and 2 six packs of brussel sprouts and 1 pack of swiss chard. All of which were planted this past weekend. These plants can take a light frost or so they say, but some readings indicate the broccoli might 'button' or in layman's terms have small heads if it is too cold. I have no past experience with planting this early so it will be interesting to watch and learn. Nor have I ever grown sprouts or chard in my garden. I always try to grow at least one new vegetable each year. My husband and I love to eat brussel sprouts but I haven't the faintest idea what to do with chard except salad. Everyone seems to grow it so I was wondering what I was missing out on. This will prove to be both a gardening and culinary experiment.

At the very least my 'Rainbow Light' swiss chard will be a decorative addition in front of my peonies along the walk up to my house. The sprouts have been planted in both a raised bed with the broccoli and the other half was tucked behind the peonies as I venture into edible landscaping.

One reason for planting these vegetables early is the hope that they will establish themselves earlier in the season and begin to bear fruit earlier. I am hoping for a longer harvest season and in the case of the onions, a longer time for them to plump up big and round. Although I expect I will be raiding them in the next month to harvest some as new onions.

This year will most certainly be a learning experience as I push the early planting date for some crops, and see how much I can incorporate into the traditional flower border.

Happy Gardening.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment